Feeling a little hungry already and my energy level is a little low. Just travelled back from Byron Bay so very tired but ready to make this power salad.
Keep in mind that raw cauliflower, when processed, soaks up the dressing and all the lovely flavours.
- 150g (2/3 cup) pearl barley
- 2 oranges, peeled
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 250g cauliflower florets
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 2 green shallots, thinly sliced
- 280g mixed carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- 50g (1/3 cup) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh mint (firmly packed), chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves (firmly packed), chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 200g pkt reduced-fat feta, quartered *remove for vegans
- Extra virgin olive oil, extra, to drizzle
- Fresh mint, extra, to serve
- Coriander leaves, extra, to serve
- Step 1
Place barley in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain. Refresh under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place in a bowl.
- Step 2
Holding each orange over a bowl to catch any juice, cut along either side of the white membranes to remove orange segments. Reserve juice. Combine orange juice, lemon juice, oil and maple syrup in a bowl and season.
- Step 3
Process cauliflower until finely chopped. Add cauliflower and zucchini to juice mixture. Set aside for 5 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Step 4
Add orange segments, lemon rind, celery, shallot, carrot, cranberries, zucchini mixture and 3/4 of the herbs to the barley. Season. Toss to combine. Divide among bowls. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Top with feta. Sprinkle with remaining herbs. Drizzle with extra oil and sprinkle with extra herbs.